Step-Parent Adoption Attorney
Having a qualified and experienced Step-Parent Adoption Attorney is essential to the in the adoption proceeding. Many step-parent/second parent adoptions involve one biological parent giving consent to the adoption. This effectively means they terminate their constitutional parental rights to the child and agree to allow their biological child to be adopted by the spouse of the other parent. There are cases where consent is not necessary or where the biological parent’s refusal to consent can be circumvented.
The Step-Parent/Second Parent Adoption process is rarely simple. A new wife or husband can legally adopt and gain legal custodial parental rights a child through an intricate series of steps.
Aarti Gujral is an experienced adoption attorney who also practices in child custody and family law. She is knowledgable in the adoption process from start to finish and can help parents looking to establish the legal adoption of a step-child when a new spouse enters the picture.
The Step-Parent Adoptions Process – Oregon
- The biological mother/father and new spouse must petition the court
- Consent from the other biological parent may be required under certain circumstances
- The step-parent must pass criminal background check(s)
- They must establish why the adoption should be approved
- If the court approves the adoption, a new birth certificate is issued
- The step-parent becomes the legal parent of the child and has all custodial rights as if the child were born to him/her
Superb Portland/Beaverton Oregon Step-parent Adoption Attorney
Aarti Gujral is very skilled in the area of family law, child custody, and adoption law. She can help you navigate through the difficult adoption process as stress-free and cost effective as possible.
To schedule an initial consultation and speak with a skilled Portland, Oregon lawyer, contact (503) 608-0207 or click here to contact us.